Sunday, January 25, 2009

Free-write from 10/08/08

It just occurred to me that I have a place for these little snippets now.

"The drive from Seattle this morning was unexpectedly soothing. I had been convinced that waking up early to drive Ger to work on my day off would bend my mood in the wrong direction. It did not. Driving south on 167, the clouds parted long enough to let a slow rolling flood of early sunlight spill over the asphalt and cement. Pale light filled the interior of the KIA and the blood in my veins instantly became a degree warmer. Outside the pine trees were lit up with a milky brightness that soaked into the nearby, autumn-mottled maples, giving the world the feel of a vintage postcard. Cars running at breakneck speeds glided past like whispers and I day-dreamed about flying, watching the sun rise on the beach, warm showers and the feel of clean clothes. My whole day played out in my head like a movie and the song on the radio was its soundtrack. But we got sea legs and we're off tonight... . All of it against a backdrop of blue sky. Like the one hanging above my head at that moment, but only for a moment. Soon the brooding October clouds swallowed it all up again and the song was over. I lit a cigarette and changed lanes to the off ramp."

!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment